Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Comic Artist: Jack Kirby

Note: I realize this is the first post of 2012, and it's already over halfway through the year, but I am reviving this blog. Originally, this blog was used for a photography class - a class I have completed and finished 7 or 8 months ago. Now I am using it again for another class. This time, Illustrated Story I. A class I have been looking forward to for months. I hope to take several more follow up courses to it in the future. Now that that's explained, I'll go continue...

In the past I have always been a massive fan and avid reader of Comic Books. DC. Marvel. And the likes... Alright, so maybe not a an avid reader, but I still consider myself a fan and comic book nerd, nonetheless. The kind of fan that quotes from Batman, and puts on a Thor helmet to go see the Avenger's movie, while shouting out, 'For Asgard!' Yes, that kind of a nerd.

That said, I wanted to approach my research with something I am a little familiar with and find close to my heart. I began punching in names into Google, unsure what I'd find. Until I came across Jack Kirby...


Needless to say, my interest was peeked, and I declared this to be my very first Comic artist I would research. A little backstory...He worked for a number of popular companies, such as DC and Timely Comics. He contributed in the creation of several well known characters, though, his most popular is most likely to be Captain America. What I find most interesting, and most impressive, is that he helped co-create several big characters in the comic book universe with Stan Lee (a major inspirational artist for me). He has been given several awards for his work, including Best Pencil Artist in 1967. 



^Thor...a personal favorite of mine.


I am absolutely in love with this man's penciling. The detail he exerted into his work was astounding. The last example above is, no doubt, my favorite. I understand why he was considered such a talented pencil artist. The direction and entire composition of the piece shows a sense of motion, and draws my eye around the piece, and brings me into the action. It's reasons like this that I fell in love with DC and Marvel comics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment