Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hiya, B-Man!

(Third post today! Yes, I'm on a role!)

Remember when I mentioned Batman a few posts back? Yeah. This is that post. :) But wait, Brittany, this is an Art Blog isn't it? Yes, it is random reader, but whose to say art must be limited to just a few sketches and photos? Because, well, it's not. It should never be limited to just that. 

So, why Batman?

Because Batman is, to a lot of people, a symbol, and has been around for years, and years, and years. Constantly revamped and brought to the screen over and over again (both successfully and unsuccessfully). The characters have been remade again and again, and well... to be honest, I've been a part of it since I was young and my Dad started rambling on about how badass the Batmobile was to me. Back then, I would just smile and nod and pretend as if I found it interesting when I didn't. I'm not sure what clicked with me the past month, but suddenly...I finally understand my Father's obsession over Batman.

Not to say I wasn't in love with Superheroes and Villains before, because I am and have been for a long time. It's part of the reason I have such a respect for Graphic novels (Western and Eastern). But suddenly, I just seem to understand something that I have not gotten for a long time. 

I've been overloaded with old Batman movies, watching from 1966 all the way to the 2008 movie. Suddenly, I just...get it! I've been learning everything I can, drawing all that I can, and just being engulfed in all that is Batman. But the one thing that has been catching my attention in particular is Batman: Arkham Asylum, the video game. I suppose you can blame that for my sudden obsession (and Brandon, but that's another story).

Either way, it's lead into another part of my life as an artist. I have suddenly...so much more respect for the artists involved in the Arkham Asylum (and Arkham City) projects. From the concept art, to the promotions that went into it. I cannot put into words just how much I really respect them. All the work that goes into this (and any other major superhero project) - it's mind boggling! 

Perhaps, I should get to my point. I'm beginning to ramble again. I'm quite good at that, aren't I? :)

I'm not quite sure if it was fate or just mere coincidence, but upon browsing right on through Deviantart, I came across the concept artist behind the incredible character designs found in the Arkham games. His name is Chuck Dee, according to his Deviantart Alias. I did not question why I found him, just that I had indeed found him. Not quite expecting what to find, I browsed through his gallery and

...mind. was. BLOWN. 




And this...this was just the start of it. I always found concept art and artists interesting, and it's one of the many things I can see myself getting into one day. It takes a peek into the sort of process that goes into this. It's not just something you put down into paper. Great thought actually goes into this. Changes are made and eventually everything falls into place - but it's the journey there that is the most interesting part :)

Now, I haven't even shown you the Joker yet. He has several lying around his gallery that I just gawk over. First, let's take a look at just how the Joker is presented in the game, shall we?


Can I tell you how in love I am with this piece of work? Granted, it's hard to top the Joker as played by Heath Ledger, but this...well...I'm left speechless. But the Joker, as he is here, did not just...show up like this. There was a lot of thought and planning. I took a look back and saw just how much he has changed since the first few sketches of him were were presented. Here is one of Chuck Dee's earliest designs. 

I'm going to share what he says in his Artist Comments:

"... this is the first or second doodle I ever did for the Joker design... initially, there was the idea floating around that the Joker could be decked out as a 'mad scientist'. Also, I wasn't sure how far Eidos was trying to push the Joker's gruesomeness, so I did a few tries with the heavily scarred and torn mouth, but there was too much of a resemblance to Heath Ledger's Joker, so we eventually went a different route.

This is the process I absolutely LOVE about design in general: the exploration of ideas... just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks, BUT like I said before, the Joker was one of the hardest designs to nail down."


So, you see, these things just don't happen. I'm beginning to learn that for the first time. There's a lot of thought that goes into these sort of things. A lot of the times, (as my Idea, Process, and Criticism professors keep telling me), your best idea won't be your first one. You have to work your way there. It just doesn't happen, unfortunately, no matter how much I would like to believe that. 

So, let's look at how this concept art develops into what we currently know though. After all, it's a process :)


(I suggest reading all the comments throughout the image. They're really interesting).
Now, a few more images... 


The last image was seen on GameInformer Magazine. It shows just what can make a great character design. It shows what it takes. And it's not just determining hair or eye color. It's about actually creating an individual unique from the rest of the world. Think about it. How does this Joker (played by Mark Hamill) stick out against say, the Joker played by Heath Ledger? They are the same person, right? I would have to argue otherwise. Throughout the years, there have been a number of representations of this particular character, and the question is, now, how to make him stand out again?

Somehow, they did. I may be stretching this a bit, but now that I've had the wonderful privilege to play the game, Arkham Asylum Joker is likely my favorite of all the ones I've come across to this day. Sorry, Heath Ledger. ):

Now, of course there's concept art, right? What's the next step. You have your game (film, or whatever it may be) and your cast of characters. I suppose the most logical next step would be promotion and advertising. The work that has been out...well...I'm going to let you see for yourself. And for once, I'm going to sit back and just admire this art for what it is. :)






It puts a smile on my face :)

All of this only makes me jut that more anxious to finish and beat the Arkham Asylum game, especially when the release date for Arkham City draws ever closer. So, where does this leave me? Where does this leave my art? All I have are sketches and not-so-awesome images to share, but I choose to share them anyway. After all, as I have stated before, this blog is not about perfection. It's about just showing the rest of the world what's going on inside of my head. And, right now, this is what's been on my mind. 

So, here's a peek into my head, again. :)


 Have I mentioned I'm obsessed at the moment? Nevertheless, I have never had so much fun drawing two individuals, at least not in a long time. Finally, a character I can have fun with expression and face structure, and well...to just go crazy with - pun intended. Harley Quinn is another fun individual, and I have gone on drawing her on several occasions now. She is very expressive and lively and just...well, all-around-fun to draw (and imitate). 




Have I mentioned I love drawing these two? Yes. Yes I do. I like drawing Scarecrow too. In case you can't tell. :) I'll be chatting more about Scarecrow later on. He is such an intriguing character! And probably one of my favorites in the entire game. (Thank you, Brandon!). In fact, he's the one that lead into this whole obsession to begin with.


Another version of Harley, as how I imagine she would look like in the Dark Knight movie. Scarred, makeup-smeared, Harley. Oh how fun you are to draw.


I pulled out my tablet and Photoshop for this one. Curves...are so much fun to draw. As horrible and perverted as that sounds, I just love drawing hips and a figure. :) Catwoman was great fun in this department, and Poison Ivy...well...she is the perfect candidate for this sort of drawing!

So, remember how I mentioned that I would be talking about Scarecrow? Yeah, here it goes. :) First, I am going to note that Brandon introduced me to the game in the first place. By showing me Scarecrow. Yes. Scarecrow. Haha. Because a gas mask I was wearing reminded him of the character. I am...so glad he did show me him! Scarecrow...wow, he is just...something else. Absolutely insane, crazy, like the rest of the inmates at the Asylum. And I absolutely love it! 

So, we came across the wonderful idea that I shall be him for Halloween. I fell in love with the suggestion, and, almost immediately, my book was covered in gender-bent Scarecrow doodles, and how I imagined it would turn out.




I am...absolutely ecstatic for Halloween! I can't explain just HOW excited I really am. Already, my dear boyfriend has started to help me put it together. Granted, he's far more talented than me when it comes to that sort of stuff, and I trust him entirely with it. :) There's no way I could manage to pull this off on my own. Construction on it has already began. Firstly, here's the image of what Scarecrow looks like according to the game.


We figured the biggest issue to tackle would be the hand/gauntlet/syringe thing going on. Materials? Cans, glow sticks, syringes...and tada! We have a work in progress :)


I am going to note right here, that I literally have done nothing on my own yet. Haha. But I'm placing myself in charge of sewing, considering I have just a little bit experience with that. This is just the start of what will be here by Halloween. :)

But aside from my own costume, Brandon has a few other things up his sleeve as well. Bane. Yes. Bane. :) This is the part where you look at the image below and go 'oh!'.



 Probably one of the tougher costumes to pull off, but I have no doubt he'll be able to pull it off. :) As I've mentioned before, he is far more talented in this sort of department than I am. And already, he's started some hard work on it. Starting with the mask!



He came across two different concepts, and it's all very much a work-in-progress, but I am so, so, so very excited to see the final result! Wow, I sound like I'm completely gushing over him haha (probably because I am).

Halloween certainly is going to be an interesting and exciting night <3

Looking back...I just realized how long this post has been. Did I really have this much to say? Yes, I did it seems or it would not have been able to write all of this. :) Still, I think I've proven a point that art can come literally anywhere, in any form or fashion...

Including Batman. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment